Counting the Cost

"Now big crowds were travelling with him; and he became and stated to them,

"Whoever comes to me and does no longer hate mum and dad, wife and children, brothers and sisters, sure, and even existence itself, can't be my disciple. Whoever does not carry the move and observe me can't be my disciple.

For which of you, proceeding to build a tower, does now not first sit down and estimate the fee, to see whether or not he has sufficient to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and isn't able to complete, all who see it'll start to ridicule him, saying, 'This fellow started out to build and became now not able to finish.'

Or what king, going out to wage conflict against any other king, will no longer sit down down first and remember whether or not he is able with 10000 to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? If he can not, then, whilst the alternative remains a long way away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace. So therefore, none of you may become my disciple if you do no longer give up all of your possessions." (Luke 14:28-33)

I want to start today by using sharing with you something that happened to me the day before today that made quite an effect on me.

I was sitting at home, trying to make a start in this sermon clearly, whilst Imogen came in through the lower back door and informed me that there has been a younger girl wandering round the road close to the the front of our house and that she appeared to be having an episode of a few type. I ran out on to the street and could not see her. Imogen indicated that she have been with a female who changed into looking to assist her and they had each been moving closer to the bottom of the street.

As I made my manner down the street a automobile pulled up close to me and a person cried out, "are you looking for the little female?" and I stated "yes". I turned into then directed down Charlecot Street, which leads into the High School, in which I determined the lady with  as an alternative distressed women who had been doing their excellent to assist.

The female was a piece more youthful than my Fran - in all likelihood around eight or nine years antique - and she turned into definitely struggling. Whether she became having 'an episode' or not was difficult to say. She wasn't speakme, and her eyes were no longer enticing with whatever mainly, thus far as I should inform. She was though pushing the girl who turned into status with her in a totally precise route, with both hands outstretched, as though she had somewhere that she had to pass urgently.

I had thought I may recognise the woman and recognize the parents, however I failed to. She had a center Eastern complexion however bore no obvious resemblance to every body I knew. I tried to interact her by using asking her call and whether or not she went to highschool however she didn't seem to be able to communicate. She just kept pushing.

We had rung the police and that they were seemingly coming. One of the helpful women had someway additionally controlled to touch the dad and mom, who have been reputedly additionally coming. We made it out to Marrickville avenue in which we had been joined via a distressed guy who said that he'd been trying to reach me by knocking at the antique rectory door. I took that as a amazing compliment - that a person notion I become the person to assist - but concept it similarly obvious that I did not really have a clue what to do.

At that point a swarthy-skinned younger guy got here strolling down the street and cried "Mariam! There you are!"

This guy become obviously not her father, however then, in an instant, all the pieces fell into vicinity in my little mind. This woman became a patron of the incapacity-services institution who use our corridor on a Saturday. She were in their care, and the young man did indeed end up one among her carers. He become quickly joined with the aid of every other carer (a young woman) and collectively they took Mariam again to the corridor.

The 4 of us who have been left as Mariam departed shared a clumsy second collectively. We type of waved every different off, no longer knowing exactly what to mention. I then joined the 3 returning to the hall and discussed with the workers the hassle they've of not being able to lock the doors from the inner (because of the fireplace-safety guidelines), meaning that clients can stroll out at any time they please if they're now not being continuously monitored. "We handiest took our eyes off her for a couple of seconds" they stated.

By the time we were given back to the hall, Mariam's parents were looking forward to us. They appeared very young, and that they had been both pretty emotional. I didn't hang around too long after that. I lower back domestic to hold on with this sermon, but I observed it very difficult to focus on whatever beyond the picture of that poor young female, desperately seeking to get somewhere, but quite probably now not having a clue as to wherein she became simply going.

It struck me forcefully on the time that so lots of us are like that so much of the time. We placed full-size awareness, force and attempt into tasks that are probable to take us someplace, we understand now not wherein, and whilst we get there, we're left wondering why it became that we wanted so much to go there in the first location.

The poor female impacted me, as did the hapless carers (of which I become one). All of us - both volunteers and experts - appeared out of our depth with younger Mariam. At the equal time, there has been a whole lot of love and issue shown there, and together we did obtain some thing tremendous, and that turned into actually encouraging.

The ones who impacted me the maximum even though have been the younger girl's dad and mom. I'm sure this turned into not the primary time that they had had to address a hassle like this and it would probably not be the last time. Moreover, I suspect that the pressure of this specific incident might have paled in evaluation with any variety of other struggles they've needed to deal with as parents of a disabled toddler.

I haven't any concept how they do it - God bless them. I have struggled hard enough, seeking to be a first rate parent to blessedly healthy and fully abled youngsters.

'Count the fee', says Jesus. 'Know what you're getting yourself into earlier than you are taking it on!'

"For which of you, proceeding to construct a tower, does now not first sit down and estimate the price, to peer whether or not he has enough to complete it?...

Or what king, going out to salary war in opposition to some other king, will not sit down first and don't forget whether or not he's capable with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? (Luke 14:28, 31)

And which parent among you, before making a decision to have children, does not first sit down down and soberly speak matters thru with their companion - operating out whether or not you will have the economic and emotional assets to do a first rate activity as mother and father?

Of route, Jesus doesn't genuinely use the example of parenthood, possibly due to the fact He never parented absolutely everyone Himself, although I do not assume you actually need to be a figure to understand how difficult parenting is. If you are now not a figure, you've got in all likelihood had mother and father, and we understand what we placed our parents thru.

For me, in all honesty, it is been the maximum tough challenge of my existence - looking to be an awesome father to my kids. I sense like I in the end started to get the hang of it the fourth time spherical, however I still might now not magnificence myself as a terrific discern.

I struggle. I'm regularly too possessive, too protecting, too disengaged, or otherwise, too overly-engaged. I do not spend sufficient time with my kids or I don't give them enough freedom to develop independently. I'm occasionally overly aggressive or pathetically susceptible. There's a balance in there somewhere however I conflict to discover it, and I understand I'm not the handiest one that struggles.

Parenting is difficult, and it costs us, though Jesus warns us that there's at least one vocation in life that prices us even more than parenting, and that's following Him.




Comments